Upper Darby Truck Accident Attorneys
Being involved in a truck accident is terrifying. Along with dealing with painful injuries, you may be wondering what you should do and how you will pay for expensive medical treatment. At MyPhillyLawyer, our Upper Darby truck accident attorneys are ready to guide you in the aftermath of a devastating crash.
If you were struck by a semi-truck, tractor-trailer, big rig, pickup truck, or any other type of truck, you may have the right to pursue compensation. Our lawyers will protect your best interests in the courtroom and beyond as you try to get your life back on track after an Upper Darby truck accident.
How Common Are Truck Accidents in Upper Darby?
The township of Upper Darby in Delaware County is part of a state that serves as a major transportation hub. Thousands of trucks travel along Pennsylvania’s roadways. Unfortunately, the large number of heavy trucks on the road also means there is a greater chance of devastating accidents.
In 2022, Pennsylvania saw the highest collisions involving heavy trucks in the last five years. There were 7,522 truck accidents in 2022 compared to 7,244 in 2021 and 7,336 in 2018.
What makes truck accidents particularly dangerous is that they can cause life-threatening injuries and even permanent disabilities. A 2020 study found that Pennsylvania ranked fifth nationwide for the highest number of fatal truck accidents between 2015 and 2017, with 405 crashes.
Another concerning finding was that Pennsylvania had 118 fatal underride crashes, the highest in the country. California ranked second but had far fewer, with 89 accidents.
Underride crashes take place when a smaller passenger vehicle slides under the body of a large truck or trailer. They are among the most horrific types of truck accidents that can occur. Although federal law mandates the installation of rear underride guards on trucks, there is ongoing opposition from the trucking industry against side underride guard requirements.
Causes of Upper Darby Truck Accidents
While regulations exist to promote safe driving practices, truck accidents can still occur due to various factors. The large size and weight of trucks mean they pose substantial risks to other motorists who share the road.
Most truck accidents in Upper Darby are preventable, and truck drivers are legally obligated to follow all traffic laws and posted signs. Traffic, congestion, and construction are not valid excuses for truck drivers to engage in dangerous driving behavior.
Moreover, specific state and federal regulations govern the trucking industry, limiting the number of hours a driver can be on the road. Despite these protective measures, the demanding nature of the trucking industry gives rise to certain risks that significantly increase the likelihood of truck accidents. Truck drivers are typically compensated based on the number of miles driven, incentivizing them to speed and spend as much time on the road as possible to maximize earnings. Additionally, trucking companies may impose penalties on drivers who fail to complete deliveries within the expected timeframes.
Truck accidents in Upper Darby can occur due to various factors, including:
- Driver fatigue: Long hours on the road can lead to fatigued truck drivers, impairing their ability to make quick and safe decisions.
- Distracted driving: Truck drivers may engage in distractions, such as using mobile phones or eating while driving.
- Intoxicated driving: Although regulations exist to limit driving time, compliance is not always guaranteed. Some drivers resort to drugs or alcohol to stay awake, compromising their judgment and reaction times.
- Speeding: Excessive speed can lead to loss of control, especially considering the size and weight of trucks.
- Improper loading: Poorly secured cargo can cause the truck to become unbalanced and lead to accidents.
- Vehicle defects: Trucks should be maintained regularly. Issues with tires, brakes, and trailer security should be identified and fixed.
Among Pennsylvania truck accidents that involved vehicle failure in 2022, tires and wheels were the primary factors in 116 crashes. Around four truck accidents were brake-related, while 42 occurred due to unsecured or overloaded trailers that year.
Injuries in Upper Darby Truck Accidents
Injuries in Upper Darby truck accidents can range from mild to severe. Due to the size and weight disparity between trucks and other vehicles, collisions involving trucks can even result in life-threatening injuries. Some common injuries that can arise after a truck accident include:
- Lacerations and abrasions: Broken glass and sharp objects in the vehicle can cause cuts and scrapes, which can range from minor to severe.
- Fractures and broken bones: Truck accidents can cause bones to fracture or break in various areas of the body, such as the pelvis, ribs, arms, and legs.
- Whiplash: Whiplash is a soft tissue injury caused by the sudden back-and-forth motion of the head during a collision. It can lead to neck pain, limited range of motion, headaches, and stiffness.
- Spinal cord injuries: Spinal cord injuries are among the most serious injuries a truck accident victim may sustain. Depending on the extent and location of the injury, they can cause varying degrees of paralysis.
- Traumatic brain injuries: A TBI can occur when the head strikes an object during an accident or experiences severe jolting. Victims may suffer everything from concussions to more severe brain damage.
- Internal injuries: The force of a truck collision can damage internal organs, leading to internal bleeding or organ failure.
- Amputations: A truck accident can result in the loss of limbs due to the crushing force of the crash.
- Psychological trauma: A truck accident can leave victims with long-lasting emotional and psychological trauma, such as anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder.
Upper Darby truck accident victims should get immediate medical treatment after a collision. Early medical intervention can prevent complications and ensure proper documentation for insurance claims or legal proceedings if you decide to pursue compensation for your injuries.
Truck Accident Liability for Upper Darby Accidents
Seeking compensation for an Upper Darby truck accident involves determining who is liable. Truck drivers have a duty to drive with care for both their own safety and the safety of other motorists and pedestrians. Negligence in fulfilling this duty can result in truck accidents.
Liability depends on the circumstances of the truck accident. For example, a truck driver may have caused a crash due to improper lane changing or speeding. On the other hand, a trucking company may have failed to carry out proper truck maintenance or forced the driver to follow an unsafe schedule. In some cases, a truck manufacturer may be to blame for a defective truck part.
The Upper Darby truck accident attorneys at MyPhillyLawyer investigate each truck accident case thoroughly to find out who was responsible for it. Certain truck accident cases may have multiple parties that contributed to the plaintiff’s injuries. In such situations, Pennsylvania’s comparative negligence law is applied to determine each party’s percentage of fault for causing the crash. At MyPhillyLawyer, we aim to obtain the highest amount of damages for our clients.
Time Limit for Filing a Truck Accident Claim
In Pennsylvania, there is a specific timeframe within which the victim of a truck accident can file a lawsuit to seek compensation for injuries and damages. Due to the significant impact of truck accidents on victims’ lives, it is essential to act promptly.
A person injured in an Upper Darby truck accident must file their claim within two years from the date of the crash, as specified by the statute of limitations. The time limit is crucial because if the lawsuit is not brought within this period, you give up your right to seek legal compensation for the truck accident.
How MyPhillyLawyer Can Help with Your Truck Accident Claim
Truck accidents differ significantly from standard car accidents due to the size and weight of commercial trucks and the laws governing the trucking industry. These accidents often result in more severe injuries and property damage. Additionally, trucking companies and their insurers often have teams of lawyers ready to protect their interests, making it crucial for victims to have skilled representation to level the playing field.
MyPhillyLawyer’s dedicated team of Upper Darby truck accident attorneys is prepared to assist you throughout the legal process. We will conduct a detailed investigation into your truck accident, gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and reconstructing the events leading to the crash.
One of the most crucial parts of filing a truck accident claim is proving liability. Our attorneys will determine if the truck driver, trucking company, or other parties are responsible for the accident. In many cases, more than one party may be at fault for your injuries.
Your Upper Darby truck accident attorney will handle all communications with the insurance companies on your behalf, ensuring your rights are protected and that you are not taken advantage of during the claims process. If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiations, MyPhillyLawyer is prepared to take your case to court to fight for the compensation you deserve.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
If you have been injured in a truck accident, reach out to a lawyer right away. Contact the experienced Upper Darby truck accident attorneys at MyPhillyLawyer for a free consultation. Let us be your advocates during this challenging time. To learn more about how we can help you obtain compensation for your injuries, call (215) 227-2727 or toll-free (866) 352-4572. There is no cost to speak to a lawyer.