What should I do after an accident?
Many drivers are not sure what to do after an accident. Under Pennsylvania law, drivers involved in an accident that results in injury, death or property damage are required to stop immediately and remain at the accident scene. Each driver in the accident must move their vehicle out of the way of traffic if it is safe to do so.
Next, the motorists must exchange their personal and insurance information with each other. The drivers should also call 911. This will bring the police to the accident to file an accident report and call for medical help if needed. If any vehicle has damage or a person has been seriously injured, then that driver must report the accident and have a police officer investigate the crash. If a police officer did not investigate the collision, all drivers involved have five days to file a written accident with the police department.
Remember to keep all records of doctor visits, treatments and surgeries. The drivers are also required to report the accident to their insurance companies. The insurance companies then will investigate to find out who was liable. If you were a victim of a serious car accident and you sustained injuries and damages, then you might have a possible claim. Talk to a lawyer after your accident so we can help you.
Other Car Accident FAQs:
- Can I recover compensation even if I am partially at fault for the car crash?
- How long do I have to file a car accident suit?
- How long do I have to file a claim after a car accident?
- How long does it take to settle a car accident lawsuit?
- How should I prepare for my first meeting with my Pennsylvania car accident attorney?
- I was in a car accident; my injuries are minor. Should I see a doctor?
- I was involved in a car accident, what should I do first?
- I was involved in a hit-and-run car accident; can I still get compensation?
- If I have been in a car accident, do I need a lawyer?
- Is there a time limit on my car accident claim in Pennsylvania?
- Should I accept a settlement from an insurance company regarding my car accident?
- Should I accept an insurance settlement right away?
- The accident was partially my fault, can I still file a claim for compensation?
- What am I entitled to after a car accident?
- What should I do after an accident?
- What types of compensation can I expect to receive after a car accident?
- What types of things can I be compensated for after my car accident?
- Why do I need a car accident attorney?